Subject: (whorl) RE: Digest whorl.v010.n099

From: David Wells <adw at ovum.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 09:50:22 +0000

>My point was that Horn apparently thinks that Silk may have been on Blue
>all the time he (Horn) was going to _Whorl_ and back.  And it's hard to
>see how he could think this if he knew he was in Silk's body.

As has been noted before, "Silk's body" may be ambiguous.

It seems very likely to me that the "special embryo" from which Silk was
grown was one of many clones(*). Maybe Horn has somehow gotten into one of
these. In which case, is he "really" Silk? (or really "Silk"? Or even
"really Silk"?).

Strikes me as exactly the kind of thing which Wolfe might be interested in
writing about..

(old) newt

(*) And by the by, it also seems likely to me (as has also been discussed
before) that Silk's embryo(s) were custom-designed as a receptacle for
Pas/Typhon when the Plan was carried out and Mainframe was being evacuated
along with the Whorl.
In fact, if Typhon was sensible, he would have had his genetic engineers
cook up a bunch of possible receptacles so that he could choose one "off the
peg", according to his divine whim, on arrival at Green/Blue.
...unless Silk's embryo(s) are clones of the _original_ Typhon body.. Has
this been discussed?
(Sorry, slightly lengthy footnote there :-)

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com