Subject: (whorl) The Remarkable Mr. Gevers

From: Alice Turner <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 22:07:31 +0000

Those of us who feel we've lost LS momentum might want to check out this
web-essay to pick it up again (full disclosure, mantis gave it to me):
http://members.tripod.co.uk/laidlow/ultan/briah.htm

I was quite dazzled by parts of it, and a bit put off by others. What do
y'all think?

-alga

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 00:54:31 +0000

The redoubtable alga set out to provide the URL for my
essays on THE BOOK OF THE LONG SUN, but the text she
was using doesn't seem to have been html-friendly (if
that's the right term). So, just for the record, the
twin essays "Five Steps Towards Briah" and "The Reader
as Augur" are available online at Jonathan Laidlow's
still-developing ULTAN'S LIBRARY:

http://members.tripod.co.uk/laidlow/ultan

The second essay is being published for the first
time, and is more complete than the version I sent
some people on the list last year.

--Mr. Gethers.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com/

---

From: matthew.malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:25:34 +0000

>I was quite dazzled by parts of it, and a bit put off by others. What do

"Sorry... but the page you are looking for is no longer on Tripod (or you may
have mistyped the URL)."

Matthew

---

From: matthew.malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:34:41 +0000

>http://members.tripod.co.uk/laidlow/ultan

Grrr...

Just fired off a misserable message 'casue the other URL was duff then this pops
up making me feel curmudgeonly.  However the new one just says "Ultan's Library
is currently closed. Opening soon - June 2000!"

Now maybe I'm miserable because I've just got back from holiday and I'm trying
to get back in the work spirit (by not doing any, reading Urth & Whorl is
_usually_ more fun) but c'mon such tricks are not lightening the post-vacation
depression any.

Matthew