Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n115

From: Timothy Reilly <treilly at ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 06:59:24 +0000

Re Ultan's Library, congratulations to Jonathan Laidlow and all involved.

I, like alga some time ago (I think?) was very impressed with Nick Gevers'
essays on TBLS.  They made me want to go out and read it, and I had to
occasionally remind myself that I already had and found it largely boring
and disappointing.  Given the dominant theme of both essays, that TBLS is a
demonstration of the need for true religious belief, I wonder if being an
atheist has anything to do with my dislike of TBLS - there may be a
correspondence!

On the other hand, if such was the theme of TBLS, OBW seemed to me to be
more questioning and doubting of religious beliefs.  (Then again, I like it
a lot, so maybe the correspondence holds).  Nick Price's review of OBW was
also a fine job (and needless to say I agree with the diplomatic criticisms
it contains of the plotting of TBLS), but one point of detail - how do we
know Hari Mau was searchoing for Silk on the Whorl? - my impression is that
he was doing so on Blue only.

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com