Subject: (whorl) Who else has read IGJ?

From: Yves Meynard <ymeynard at globetrotter.qc.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 21:24:39 +0000

Anybody else out there got hold of an advance copy of _In Green's Jungles_?
After reading it, I've still got a lot more questions than answers. I can't
wait for people who are smarter than me to get the book and start
discussing it. In the meantime, I promise to keep my mouth shut, difficult
as that may be.

Yves Meynard
(yes, I'm gloating)

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 23:53:48 +0000

I'm another of the fortunate (or damnable) few, and
I'm also eager to begin the discussion. In the
dwindling meantime, let me ask you this, Yves: do you
now know why there was no guard at the Citadel gate in
Chapter I of THE SHADOW OF THE TORTURER?
 
> discussing it. In the meantime, I promise to keep my

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com

---

From: Alice Turner <pei047 at attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 09:33:57 +0000

I think there are six of us. That really isn't enough. Have others put
in advance orders? What is the critical mass when we can start talking?

-alga

---

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:14:33 +0000

At 8:44 AM +0100 6/11/00, David Langford wrote:
>I reviewed it from a Tor proof a couple of months back -- the review is
>due out in the British SF Association's =Vector= but I'll post it here
>with lots of (mostly unnecessary, I hope) spoiler space if that's OK with
>the list members.

I have no desire to see your review (or any) before I read the book, 
but, as long as you clearly mark it in the subject header I can skip 
it and save it for later, so post away.

>in advance orders? What is the critical mass when we can start talking?

I put in my order about two weeks ago. As far as I am concerned, as 
long as a suitable label (such as "IGJ Spoilers") is in the subject 
header of *all* the messages that make up this discussion and it is 
restricted to the Whorl list, then the discussion can begin right 
now. I will just save the messages until after I have a chance to 
read the book (I did this with OBW).

Have fun, you lucky skunks (as Gary Larson of Far Side fame would say).

William Ansley

---

From: matthew.malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:17:10 +0000

>(yes, I'm gloating)

This list is normally a quiet, reflective and above all intellectual place;  but
right now you'll have dozens of people feverishly scouring the yellow pages to
discover which category covers contract hit-men....

Matthew