Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n121

From: akt <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 20:26:18 +0000

> From: Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>

> Alga:
>
> Sometime back (archives taking forever to come up for me) you
suggested
> that the "action" of Long Sun can be attributed largely to one
non-divine
> character.  I'm rereading LS again, and I now want to know who your
> candidate for mastermind is.  I can think of two possibilities, one
> unlikely, the other also hard to defend as the choice:  Pike (!?) and
> Quetzal.

No, Alex. And since I think of you and Adam as the two bright young
things of the list, and since you've both got a month or so to wait
until you get your grubby little paws on IGJ, I will set you the
assignment to prove me wrong.

The "action" of LS, the populist political movement that eventually
catapults Silk into the Calde's seat, and saddles him with Hy, as well,
was masterminded and manipulated by--until circumstances decreed
otherwise:

ready?

Dr. Crane

for reasons that you two can either figure out or repudiate.

(heh, heh, heh!!!)

-alga

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:30:47 +0000

(In response to Alga's revelation of the mastermind in Long Sun):

Aha.  I ruled out Crane because I thought you were speaking more
generally--his -initial- meeting with Silk is "accidental" (as
accidental as anything is--the theme of prophecy*, all true, I'm
beginning to think, runs even stronger in LS than in NS), but after
that he certainly does manipulate things and is behind the political
events.  I can post my version of the evidence for this if anybody
isn't convinced, although I thought that part was common agreement
on the list.

Can I remain a bright young thing five years from now when
I'm STILL a grad student?

* like the prophetic dream in Chap. 4 of Lake that I'd completely
forgotten.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John
8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce