Subject: (whorl) Re: Dreams

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:46:36 +0000

Alex David Groce wrote:

> On the prophecy thing--does anyone in the books ever attempt to make
> a prophecy (augury) or even have a dream that doesn't foreshadow
> events to come?  I think that although there's no time-travel going
> on here, lots of things seem as locked in as in BOTNS.

Have any of Horn's dreams in OBW turned out to be prophetic yet?  I
remember thinking that Horn spent rather a lot of time telling us his
dreams, and none of them had any obvious relevance (except for the one
in the pit which may have been Silk resurrecting him).  But I only read
the book once, so I could be wrong.

--Adam

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:00:10 +0000

>the book once, so I could be wrong.

Well, not that I recall, but then in Long Sun many of the more significant
"foretold" events don't occur until later books (and some aren't really
clear until a second reading--the prophecy is highly metaphorical, but
clearly intentional at least at Wolfe's level).

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

---

From: David Duffy <davidd at qimr.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:24:32 +0000

> the book once, so I could be wrong.
Horn says a tall man with a big nose or a spider: therefore that dream was
a favour from a good neighbour.