Subject: (whorl) First impressions of IGJ (slight spoilers)

From: Christopher Culver <new_sun at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 02:37:13 +0000

Hi all,

Because this will contain some slight spoilers:

*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*
*SPOILER SPACE*

1)Lots more information about who "Horn" (or, more accurately, the Rajan, or 
Incanto, or whoever this man is) really is. What strikes me as very odd, 
however, is Wolfe's characteristic way of making his godlike (or simply 
powerful) characters totally unself-conscious of their power. I'm reminded 
of Severian who didn't really seem to care about his apotheosis, Silk, who 
also didn't seem to take it as anything special, and now Horn. Why does it 
not phase Horn that everybody he meets bows to him? Maybe it just got old 
after he arrived in Gaon and now it is nothing remarkable.

2) Wolfe uses Italian now, interesting. I'm sure using an Italian dictionary 
on the character's names will yield some enlightening information.

3) Horn tends to sound in several places like Alden Dennis Weer. I wonder if 
this is just because people who have died tend to think like this in Wolfe's 
mind, or Wolfe is simply reusing a previous mode of narration.

4) Nessus's cameo was rather amusing, but I wonder how it will be fleshed 
out in _Return to the Whorl_.

5) Horn still thinks of Pas as a god. Hopefully he'll rid himself of this 
notion by the end of the series. Although, "god" has always had a rather 
different meaning in the BotLS and BotSS.

Cheers,

Christopher CULVER <new_sun at hotmail.com>

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com