Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n136

From: Christopher Culver <new_sun at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 20:13:17 +0000

Here's the good ol' spoiler space, which I hope we can do away with soon:
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*
>*SPOILER SPACE*

Dan Rabin wrote:
>P.S.  Has it occurred to anyone else that Silk "sits as the right
>head of God"?  Couldn't resist--sorry.

Yeah, and that's what baffles me about Horn's religious notions: he still 
thinks Pas is a god and can still be compared to the Outsider. One would 
hope that the fact that Typhon was a madman will be made perfectly clear for 
Horn in the next volume. In the meantime, he's blaspheming the Outsider 
numerous times through his worship of an idol, but doesn't quite realize it.

Horn's performance of the Eucharist at the altar of the Neighbors must be 
one of the finest scenes Wolfe has even written. "On Blue's Waters" lacked 
the depth of Catholic symbolism that the BotLS had, but IGJ really brings it 
back. It was rather amuzing to see Horn telling Hide to call him "Father" 
(as if a priest) right after he tells of the experience of the altar. It 
also made me think that, in the religious context of the BotLS and BotSS, 
Horn *is* a priest: he's the representative of the Son (Silk) on Earth 
(well, Blue).

Christopher Culver <new_sun at hotmail.com>
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com