Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n138 [SPOILERS]

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 11:01:17 +0000

Josh Levitan wrote:
> When Jahlee(? I've had
> about five hours of sleep in the past few days, so my memory's a little hazy
> at this point, and a marathon reading session didn't help, but I'm pretty
> sure it was Jahlee and not Fava) is asked by Horn what the inhumi who fed on
> the Neighbors would have been like, she says "Wonderful," or something to
> that effect.

I found the passage.  It's actually Fava and not Jahlee, and her exact
reply is "'I've wondered about that.  It must have been marvelous. 
Miraculous...For them [the inhumi], I mean.'" (214)  She seems to be
referring to the powers the inhumi would have acquired from the
Neighbors, not to any moral improvement, and the context of the
conversation supports this (Horn goes on to suggest that present-day
inhumi may have retained a trace of these powers).  And if Horn is
correct in his conjecture (and so far it is only a conjecture) that the
Neighbors enslaved the inhumi, the inhumi would be unlikely to remember
the Neighbors as especially benevolent or spiritual, although they seem
that way to us.

--Adam

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com