Subject: (whorl) The missing chems

From: Dan Rabin <wolfe-lists at danrabin.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 19:28:01 +0000

As we discuss the respective humanity of humans and inhumi, it occurs 
to me that _Short Sun_ has dealt little with chems so far.  They were 
certainly accepted as people in the Long Sun Whorl (although 
sometimes the subject of discrimination).  Do they have spirits in 
the sense of _Green's_?

We know that there's an unresolved plot element concerning Horn's 
bringing Olivine's eye to Marble.  Perhaps chems will yet be tied 
into the spiritual scheme of things.

On a related topic:  how are we to square the adopting of human souls 
by inhumi with Mucor's characterization of Quetzal as "the man who 
isn't there"?  Does Mucor perceive people distinctly from the way 
they appear in Horn's astral projections?

   -- Dan Rabin

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com