Subject: (whorl) In Green's Cover

From: akt <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:35:15 +0000

Got the book today and brought it home. And hid it from my houseguest!
Whoa--that cover! An amalgam of Ben Franklin and Joe Lieberman takes a
stroll with an octopoidal Highwayman! No, I couldn't face the (at best)
politely raised eyebrows or (worse) outright snickering that would have
been my lot had this been openly displayed!

-alga

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 22:47:08 +0000

>been my lot had this been openly displayed!

I agree, as I think many, if not all, reading this do. The IGJ cover 
makes the OBW cover look, well, less bad in comparison.

It would have been very easy to make attractive, elegant and (I would 
think) inexpensive covers for the three books. Make each book's cover 
a single photograph, with the title and author superimposed in a 
contrasting color. For OBW, an aerial view of an empty expanse of 
ocean; for IGJ, an aerial view of a solid jungle canopy; for RTTW, a 
star field. It may turn out that my third cover is inappropriate when 
the book actually comes out and I am sure that no one else will be as 
fond of these cover ideas as I am, but most of you will probably 
agree that it would be an improvement.

William Ansley
-- 
William Ansley