Subject: (whorl) IGJ: altar scene

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:17:40 +0000

I was reviewing the altar scene, and I just noticed the following
sentence, where Horn is narrating the manifestation of the Outsider: "I
knew that he was there, that if I turned, I would see them." (285)

Is that "them" a typo?  If not, what does it mean?

--Adam

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Urash, Tom <turash at firstam.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:19:59 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Stephanides [mailto:adamsteph at earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 1:18 AM
To: whorl at lists.best.com
Subject: (whorl) IGJ: altar scene

--Adam

The triple god? Father, son & holy ghost?

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
ranjit at best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list:
urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:56:29 +0000

> The triple god? Father, son & holy ghost?

Perhaps, but I don't recall anywhere else where Horn indicates a belief
in the Outsider's multiple nature.  And even if he did, the unexplained
shift from singular to plural in the same sentence would still be very
odd if both referred to the Outsider.

--Adam

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:50:27 +0000

>odd if both referred to the Outsider.

The same one and many is seen in the first paragraph of Nightside.
	I'd say that the Outsider comes with His retinue, which is the angels and
the dead saints. But a hint of the trinity cannot be excluded. 

Pat. Nut.

---

From: Peter Westlake <peter at harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:03:07 +0000

>Is that "them" a typo?  If not, what does it mean?

Is the baletiger around yet?

SBear.