Subject: (whorl) IGJ thoughts SPOILERS

From: Dennis G. Berdanis <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:40:59 +0000

Adam Stephanides wrote:

>Jim Jordan wrote:
>
>>         1. The neighbor on Green switches the souls of Silk and Horn.
That seemed
>> clear to me.
.
>Not to me.  What the Neighbor says is "'I can send your spirit into
>someone else, into someone whose own spirit is dying....Then there will
>be one whole man there, instead of two dying men, one here and another
>there.'" (127, my deletion doesn't affect the meaning)  Nothing about
>moving Silk's spirit at all.  And the Neighbor doesn't say "there will
>be one whole man and one dying man," just "there will be one whole man."

Also note that is says "instead of two dying men" which implies to me that
Silk was already dying and was not just in deep despair contemplating
suicide.

I also don't see the evidence that Silk had committed suicide.  Perhaps he
was just at the end of his life span.  Many times when two people are joined
in spirit and body for many years as he and Hyacinth (sp?) were when one
dies the other doesn't live much longer.  Perhaps he was just dying from
sadness/grief.

What in the text leads the suicide believers to believe so?

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:49:46 +0000

>Silk was already dying and was not just in deep despair contemplating

	Yeah. I did not remember right. We aren't told what might have happened to
Silk's soul. My guess is that he is dead. For Silk to die and to pass on
his gifts to another in the process (i.e., his genetically enhanced body)
is in keeping with the religious structure of the book. But with GW, you
never know!

Nutria