Subject: (whorl) Suicide

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:02:11 +0000

>I also don't see the evidence that Silk had committed suicide.  Perhaps he
>was just at the end of his life span.  Many times when two people are joined
>in spirit and body for many years as he and Hyacinth (sp?) were when one
>dies the other doesn't live much longer.  Perhaps he was just dying from
>sadness/grief.
>
>What in the text leads the suicide believers to believe so?
>
>Dennis/Endy

	At the moment I'm on your side here. The fact that Silk is bleeding might
mean that he had cut himself, but it might also mean he's been defending
the house. Not only is Silk bleeding, but the house is completely torn up.
My first guess would be the Silk is dying from wounds he has received in
some conflict, and that Hyacinth is already dead from the same. 
	Dire interpretations of Wolfe events are tempting, but recall how often
they have been wrong. Weer in *Peace* was supposed to be a multiple
murderer, according to some, until Wolfe said that was nonsense. I assumed
Severian was a much worse character than Wolfe intended him to be. So, as
regards Silk's death, well, with GW you never know! But I would not jump to
the more dire reading, without good evidence.

Pat. Nut.

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com