Subject: (whorl) Peace (spoilers)

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:53:28 +0000

At 06:04 PM 8/10/00 GMT, Christopher Culver wrote:
>Pat. Nut. wrote:
><Dire interpretations of Wolfe events are tempting, but recall how often
>they have been wrong. Weer in *Peace* was supposed to be a multiple
>murderer, according to some, until Wolfe said that was nonsense.>
>
>Wolfe may have said that about the *multiple* murderer hypothesis, but in 
>one interview he said the reader would have to figure out for himself if 
>Weer killed the librarian, and he didn't say that suspicion of that would be 
>nonsense.

Also, Weir could have killed multiple people without being a "multiple
murderer". The young boy and the man who was locked in the freezer could
both easily have been accidents, and I don't know if he did kill the
librarian; even if he did, that might conceivably not have been murder if
she'd had a weapon--I don't remember the details well, and I'm sure many of
them are well-hidden. 

-- 
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://www.nyrsf.com

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com