Subject: Re: (whorl) Suicide [SPOILER]

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:06:28 +0000

Jim Jordan wrote:
> 
> >What in the text leads the suicide believers to believe so?
> >
> >Dennis/Endy
> 
>         At the moment I'm on your side here. The fact that Silk is bleeding might
> mean that he had cut himself, but it might also mean he's been defending
> the house. Not only is Silk bleeding, but the house is completely torn up.
> My first guess would be the Silk is dying from wounds he has received in
> some conflict, and that Hyacinth is already dead from the same.

It's not explicitly stated that Silk committed suicide (or even that it
is Silk and Hyacinth), but to me, the combination of Silk's bleeding,
the fact that Hyacinth is in her coffin and the bloodstained knife is by
Silk's hand, and the Neighbor's reference to Silk as "someone whose own
spirit is dying" make suicide, or at least self-mutilation, probable. 
If Silk had been defending himself and Hyacinth, he surely would have
bandaged his wounds before putting her in a coffin; nor would there be
any reason for the knife to be by his hand now.  It may be, though, that
Silk has slashed himself in a frenzy of grief rather than purposefully
committing suicide; this would fit the Neighbor's words as well, and his
frenzy could also explain the destruction in the house.

--Adam

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com