Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v011.n015

From: Josh Levitan <josh_levitan at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 01:02:19 +0000

Wombat wrote:
>At 06:04 PM 8/10/00 GMT, Christopher Culver wrote:
> >Pat. Nut. wrote:
> ><Dire interpretations of Wolfe events are tempting, but recall how often
> >they have been wrong. Weer in *Peace* was supposed to be a multiple
> >murderer, according to some, until Wolfe said that was nonsense.>
> >
> >Wolfe may have said that about the *multiple* murderer hypothesis, but in
> >one interview he said the reader would have to figure out for himself if
> >Weer killed the librarian, and he didn't say that suspicion of that would 
>be
> >nonsense.
>
>Also, Weir could have killed multiple people without being a "multiple
>murderer". The young boy and the man who was locked in the freezer could
>both easily have been accidents, and I don't know if he did kill the
>librarian; even if he did, that might conceivably not have been murder if
>she'd had a weapon--I don't remember the details well, and I'm sure many of
>them are well-hidden.

Dead-on about the multiple murderer question...  I believ Wolfe responded 
with something like "I'm trying to remember who killed who...  No, I don't 
think so."  If someone wants to dig out the exact question and answer, 
that'd be sweet of you.

Just to dig this one up again, the librarian did pull a gun on Weer when 
they went out to look for the non-existent treasure.  I got the distinct 
impression he killed her, from the conversation he had with Gold afterward.  
Also, that he was responsible for the deaths of at least the young boy and 
the man in the freezer, although that has been hotly contested by others on 
this list in the past...

Narwhal
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com