Subject: (whorl) Just read Clute's OBW review <SPOILERS>

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:10:46 +0000

I was searching for the IGJ review that other's have relayed some of the
details here, and instead found the OBW review that I had not read yet.

The first shock I had was what was relayed in Clute's latest response to the
whorl list.  That he mentioned the Horn/Silk/inhumi? possibility in that
review.

The second shock was reading his opinion that OBW is happening at the same
time as TBOTNS?  I had inferred from reading the whorl list that most were
of the opinion that OBW was at least 1000 years later than TBOTNS?  Do any
agree with Clute's timeframe estimates?

Thanks,
Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:31:48 +0000

>agree with Clute's timeframe estimates?

I thought that the common wisdom was that the Whorl left Urth about 1000
years before _Book of the New Sun_ (during the time of Typhon) and had
spent 1000 years in transit (though only 358 years passed on-board because
of time dilation). Someone here--Robert Borski, I think--pegged the scene
towards the end of _Green_ as taking place during the swimming scene in
chapter 1 of _Shadow of the Torturer_, and I suspect he's right. 

*Must we assume that, with a name like that, Endymion is a monster? 

-- 
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://www.nyrsf.com

---

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 05:47:39 +0000

>chapter 1 of _Shadow of the Torturer_, and I suspect he's right.

Ah.  Thanks for taking the time to clear up my misconception.  But now I
remember reading the 700 years ago reign of Typhon plus 300plus years for
the voyage <slapping head>.

 I knew that the trip to Urth was during the time of Shadow, but didn't
assume that any of the astral/corridor trips had to be made in *current*
time and was assuming they traveled to the past.

Concerning the speculation on Oreb's true nature:
What do most think the enlargement of Oreb signified?
Simply more proof that he is being ridden by one or more of the gods?
Simply proof that Oreb's own nature is more human (larger than a normal
bird's)?

Concerning the inhumu nature of Silk and/or Horn:
When posters consider this possibility I am assuming they are postulating
that either an inhumu/a is impersonating Silk and/or Horn or that Silk
and/or Horn's essences were transferred into the bodies of inhumu/a.  Is
this a correct assumption?

What I am not assuming is that the traditional stories of victims of
vampyres becoming vampyric through either spiritual or natural (virus) means
is expected to be revealed in TBOSS.  Is this a correct assumption or do
some hold the view that this will become part of the story?

>*Must we assume that, with a name like that, Endymion is a monster?

If a monster, a gentle one <grin>.  A sleeping shepherd boy is a more
accurate description.

Dennis/Endy