Subject: (whorl) Oreb and his gods

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:28:00 +0000

Falcon,

(Step one: you are talking about the Long Sun series, rather than the Short
Sun series.)

I don't know that it is "old hat," but then again I don't remember anybody
else besides Robert Borski (and lately myself) following this.  We have
been saying that Oreb is ridden by a god, sometimes, but not all the time;
just as Chenille is (sometimes ridden by Kypris); just as Tick is
(sometimes ridden by Sphigx).

Then again, we have read "The Night Chough" (collected in THE CROW:
SHATTERED LIVES AND BROKEN DREAMS), and you probably have not. <g>

We have some ideas of which god or gods are sometimes riding Oreb, but the
short list does not include Pas in any way, shape, or form.  Top of the
list is Scylla.

And yes, this does complicate things throughout TBOTLS!

=mantis=

P.S.  We use these abbreviations so much and so long that lately I've toyed
with the verbal forms, to wit:

TBOTNS: "bones"
TBOTLS: "bottles"
TBOTSS: "boss"

=m=

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com