Subject: (whorl) Limp biz (cut)

From: akt <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:44:05 +0000

Patera Rat put forth (on another subject altogether):

> (Yes, I know Oreb is also in Germanic mythology, as the limp also goes
> with Claudius, etc.

That limp doesn't go just with Claudius. That limp is important to
classical mythology in general. There's Oedipus--"swollen-foot"--of the
dire prophecy. There's Melampus--"blackfoot," also a prophet. There's
Jason, who arrives wearing just one sandal, as was prophesied. There's
some other odd stuff about sandals, including the sandals of Theseus
(under the stone) and the drag-footed lame Crane Dance and the prophetic
fall that followed. Telephus was wounded in the left leg by Achilles,
and we all know of Achilles and his heel. I cannot remember if Odin was
eventually lame, but I wouldn't be surprised, since Horn is certainly
fixing to be Odin in his accoutrements. There's the Fisher King, wounded
in the thigh.

And there's Sev. And Silk. And Oreb (wing). Eventually (I'll bet; he's
already got a staff), Horn. And for the Crowleyites among us, there's
Pierce walking up Mount Randa with one black shoe and one brown shoe,
first seen as a pilgrim in a shamanistic trance by Beau Brachman. Tres,
tres Jason, IMO.

On another subject, Ian, mantis isn't putting you off--we did get pretty
intense about Suzanne. If you read the earlier stuff and still have
questions, please ask them.

-alga

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: John Clute <jclute at cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:27:00 +0000

More thoughts on Oreb would be of great interest. And more thoughts on 
_why_ so many heroes are lame (see also everything Tim Powers ever 
wrote)--I know there is a body of theory regarding this, and for the 
moment cannot properly nail it down in my head. What kind of boy or dwarf 
is Oreb on Green? Nutria's Christian typology is of course one line; but I 
think Nutria himself assumes this to be only one pattern of meaning, 
though maybe the central.
        Much of this material may have already been exposed here. Sorry if 
I'm disinterring a dead crow.

Best,
John C

---

From: Alastair Reynolds <areynold at estsa2.estec.esa.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:36:26 +0000

John Clute wrote:
> 
> In-Reply-To: <200008212348.QAA22140 at lists1.best.com>
> moment cannot properly nail it down in my head. 

See also Mad Max!

Al

.

---

From: mark millman <millman at us.ncipher.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:07:18 +0000

At 07:44 PM 21-08-00 -0400, alga wrote:

>> (Yes, I know Oreb is also in Germanic mythology, 
>> as the limp also goes with Claudius, etc.
>
> That limp doesn't go just with Claudius. That limp is 
> important to classical mythology in general. There's 
> Oedipus--"swollen-foot"--of the dire prophecy. There's 
> Melampus--"blackfoot," also a prophet. There's Jason, 
> who arrives wearing just one sandal, as was prophesied. 
> There's some other odd stuff about sandals, including the 
> sandals of Theseus (under the stone) and the drag-footed 
> lame Crane Dance and the prophetic fall that followed. 
> Telephus was wounded in the left leg by Achilles, and we 
> all know of Achilles and his heel. I cannot remember if 
> Odin was eventually lame, but I wouldn't be surprised, 
> since Horn is certainly fixing to be Odin in his accoutre-
> ments. There's the Fisher King, wounded in the thigh.

Odysseus, too, has a thigh wound, though it's old and healed  
and apparently doesn't cause him to limp.  It does, however,
serve to identify him to members of his household upon his
return.

I've been unable to find any reference to Odin's becoming 
lame or receiving a wound in his leg or foot.  I did, however, 
come across one interesting foot fact about Odin.  During 
Ragnarok, Odin is swallowed by Fenrir and dies.  His son 
Vidar avenges him by kicking Fenrir in the mouth with a giant 
shoe until the wolf's jaws are torn asunder--just one giant shoe, 
not one of a pair.  I suppose that could cause a limp.

Nacre