Subject: (whorl) Pretty impressive, Alex

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:54:09 +0000

Back on Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Alex David Groce 
<Alex_Groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

[...]

>vizcacha brings up the Moses analogy also, which suggests that Silk himself
>may not ever set foot on Blue.  Moses, of course, died before he reached the
>Promised Land, but came back later at the transfiguration in the Gospels.  Is
>Horn the means by which Silk is setting foot on Blue only after death?

I found the passage quoted above while I was looking through the 
archive for one of my own messages and was a bit startled. Is Alex a 
good guesser or what?

-- 
William Ansley

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: John Clute <jclute at cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:26:00 +0000

Still trying to get a chronological sort on what's been said and where in 
this list.
        Noticed the reference to Moses. How old is this list? My own 
reference to Silk as Moses was written in 1996, for a _NYRSF_ review of 
_Exodus from the Long Sun_ . I didn't credit anyone, or any pattern of 
thought, for the image--and would have, had I known I was stirring a broth 
that had already been cooked.
        Not that being the first to think something is the same as being 
the first to think it well--but one of the reasons I joined WHORL was to 
try to keep from reinventing the wheel. 

Best,
John C

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:26:31 +0000

>John C

You definitely had the idea before I did--I didn't read Long Sun until
well after Exodus had been published (had to dodge spoilers on this
list for a while).  While I agree with Nutria that there are a lot of
"imitation of Christ" elements to Silk's story, ignoring the Moses
element in a series that ends with a book called Exodus is unwise.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

---

From: james jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:52:58 +0000

Perhaps. And since Wolfe tosses lots of things together, I have no problem.
But remember that at his transfiguration Jesus spoke of the "exodus" he was
about to accomplish in Jerusalem. Wolfe hears that passage read annually in
mass on Transfig. Sunday, so it might be Jesus' situation that is all he
intends. Remember that Jesus also does not "enter" the new church age,
except via his spirit, and what we see in Wolfe is that not Silk but Oreb
comes to the new planets.
	Also, I'm not seeing any way that Horn could be Joshua.

Patera Nutricious