Subject: (whorl) Re: Brother & Sister (Geographically speaking)

From: Robert Borski <rborski at charter.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:46:13 +0000

Sbearo having written:

<I see what you mean about Bricco, but Brother and Sister live on an
entirely different continent to Fava. She is finding children (different
ones each time, by the sound of it) between Incanto's
farm and Soldo.>

I don't believe this is right. GREEN begins almost immediately (or very
shortly) after the Brother and Sister encounter, and on the first page of
his new narration Horn writes about the river that flows through Blanko
thusly: "I do not think this is the same river we had in the south. This one
flows fast but silently." He then talks (again) about the eight-legged
crocodiles that infest the Nadi.

Not sure how rivers run in the UK, but do you have any intercontinental
ones? (Might make an interesting remake of HEART OF DARKNESS, pitched
Hollywood style. "Man sets sail on the Thames, winds up in the deepest
Africa.")

Robert Borski

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Peter Westlake <peter at harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:19:08 +0000

>crocodiles that infest the Nadi.

Ah, you're right. I had mentally transferred them to the river
that runs through Pajarocu, probably because their life resembles
that of the people of Shadelow more than it does the comparatively
civilised (parts of) Main. Thanks for setting me straight. It was
just for occasions like this that I chose my nickname!

"Sbearo" ... a nice coining, thank you :-)

And Google doesn't have any matches for it at all, whereas it has
dozens of spurious Sun Bears, Sloth Bears (okay, not that spurious
in this case), Sitting Bears, Standing Bears, and even a site
selling llamas.

---

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:16:22 +0000

John Roberson detailed:

>If humans offer themselves willingly to the inhumu, who then develop
>something of their soul/spirit of not harming others and being
>self-sacrificing, then those inhumu will quit feeding on other humans.
>Feeding from only non-sentient animals, they would lose their sentience and
>revert to blood-sucking croc vermin.  While this would get rid of the
inhumu
>problem, it would be somewhat contrary to Incanto's ethical stance, since
he
>believes the inhumu spirits to be developing "souls" and to do something
>that would revert them back to beasts would be "killing" their human-like
>spirits.

Besides the fact that even if the inhumi felt a *human* compulsion as
reverted
back to beast status, once they regained beast status they would forget the
*human* compulsion not to feed on other humans.  Once again as animals
they would naturally feed on humans and regain human nature.  An endless
cycle but not the destruction of inhumi or the salvation of humans.

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm